Monday, June 9, 2014

DIY: Watermellon American flag shirt

DIY: Watermelon American Flag T-shirt 
This is a great way to recycle an old t-shirt and an easy way to get rid of awkward fabric scraps you have laying around.  My inspiration was a watermelon but you could use any color combo you would like.  

Cuttin to the chase: 
I will go into detail how I made this step by step but for those of you who are just going to skip threw and look threw the pictures and go on your own here is the short version of what I did.  
1. Gathered scraps 
2. Placed in desired form 
3. sewed in place 
4. Drew on "watermelon seeds"

For the rest of you I will go into detail step by step with pictures :) 


Supplies:
  • Fabric scraps (red pink and green for watermelon)
  • T-shirt 
  • Fabric markers or paint 
  • Sewing machine or sewing needle in thread




Step One: Place your fabric scraps

There is no right or wrong way to do this guys just go crazy and get an idea of what you want it to look like.  





Step two: Sew down

If you feel more comfortable pinning yours down that is fine but I wanted a very frayed crazy organic look so I just started tacking down with no particular meaning.



Step Three: Draw "watermelon seeds"
Again no rhyme or reason just add the effect of watermelons.  Also keep in mind your maker or paint you use cannot be washable because when you put it in the washer it will just wash right out.



Step four: Cut sleeves 
This step is completely optional but I was going for a very ragged look and I wanted a tank style.  Maybe try a crop top style?







I paired it with high waisted Gingham shorts I thrifted for 99 cents and a fruit patterned bow I made. 


Hope you guys enjoyed it! If you happen to make this project or a similar project I would LOVE to see it.  Tag me in pictures of it on instagram @diynation7797



No comments:

Post a Comment